There’s been a renewed curiosity about Absinthe liquor about the world within the last decade since Absinthe’s legalization in many countries. Absinthe, also known as absinthe liquor the Green Fairy or La Fee Verte, just has been legal in the USA since 2007, and only certain brands may be sold, so there is certainly much fascination with the liquor in the US.
What on Earth is Absinthe Liquor About?
Absinthe is a distilled anise flavored spirit that was created for medicinal purposes as being an elixir or tonic by way of the legendary Dr Pierre Ordinaire in Couvet, Switzerland. It shot to popularity in Switzerland and France during the 19th and early 20th centuries and even overtook wine in reputation in France.
Absinthe is generally created from a wine base and is flavored with herbs. Its principal herbal ingredients are standard wormwood (Artemisia Absinthium), which provides Absinthe its name and its particular bitter taste, aniseed and fennel. Other common herbs used in the creation of Absinthe include hyssop, lemon balm, star anise, dittany, juniper, nutmeg and licorice.
There are numerous varieties of Absinthe liquor:-
– Verte – This can be the classic green Absinthe of the French La Belle Epoque and the Absinthe well-liked by the Bohemian culture of Montmartre and used by artists and writers like Pablo Picasso, Van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemingway, Gauguin, Degas, Baudelaire and Verlaine.
– La Blueu – Also referred to as La Blanche. This is usually a clear Absinthe. Bootleg Swiss Absinthe was clear throughout the ban.
– Czech Style Absinth – Some Czech Absinthes are common Absinthes but this term describes “Absinths” which are actually wormwood bitters and do not come with an anise flavor.
– Absenta – Spanish Absinthe that has a sweeter flavor because it’s made with Alicante Anise.
– Rouge or Rose Absinthe – This Absinthe has a naturally red color as a result of added ingredient of hibiscus flowers.
You can get many types and styles of Absinthe online – standard styles and modern classics that are based upon vintage Absinthes but have a modern twist.
As well as buying these various kinds of Absinthe beverages, it’s also possible to make your own Absinthe from Absinthe essences. AbsintheKit.com supply essences on the Absinthe industry and also to consumers. They create 4 different essences – a vintage green Absinthe essence, a clear Absinthe essence, a strong essence which makes an Absinthe with a more powerful bitter wormwood flavor, plus an orange flavoured essence that is flavored with orange oil and produces a lovely orange-yellow colored Absinthe. Each of the essences are created using top-quality herbs and are also distilled so you don’t have to worry about distilling, simply make an online purchase then mix with vodka or Everclear for your own wormwood Absinthe.
AbsintheKit.com also sell Absinthiana like replicas of renowned Absinthe glasses and spoons such as the Eiffel Tower spoon.
Absinthe is an extremely strong alcoholic beverage, as much as 75% alcohol by volume, and is also much stronger than whisky or vodka. Care should be taken when consuming such a strong spirit particularly when it is being combined with other strong spirits in cocktails – it is extremely easy to get drunk on Absinthe!
There are not many drinks like Absinthe liquor about which there are various myths, legends, lies and falsehoods – it comes with a very colorful and fascinating history and is a beautiful beverage to savor.