Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe in early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, used a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg. Wine is the traditional base for Absinthe but some distillers use other kinds of alcohol.
If you try to find Absinthe recipes online, you will find that many of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor such as Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How Do You Produce Absinthe at home?
Although some recipes online are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is illegal in lots of countries and you also need the right equipment and you also have to know what you’re doing. So, are there any other strategies to making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This generally involves steeping herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for several days or perhaps a couple of weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation can provide a real Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Almost all of the kits available online, such as the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They may be easier than discovering and preparing your own herbs but you are merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much simpler and better way to make Absinthe at home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are made by distilling standard Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is performed for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences can be found in four various types:-
– Classic Green Essence to produce a classic “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to make a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This too has a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to produce Absinthe having a twist. This essence could make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe with a natural orange flavor as well as a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe having a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood flavor.
You can get a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or purchase a kit for $29 to produce 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit comes with a handy plastic gauge and 14 artistic bottle labels. All you have to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be mindful, drink Absinthe in moderation since it is a significantly stronger beverage than other spirits as well as fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which doesn’t have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.