A lot of people do not know how to pour Absinthe properly and no, it is not quite as simple as taking out the lid, pouring it to a glass and drinking it! Absinthe should be served watered down with iced water and sweetened just a bit with sugar absinthe liquor. This method is called “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is exactly how Absinthe was prepared in its heyday during the 19th century and early twentieth century.
The Ritual isn’t a great deal of a recipe as a method to follow. Here are instructions on how to pour the right Green Fairy every time:-
– Absinthe – Use a quality Absinthe containing wormwood. There are numerous fake Absinthes around with virtually no thujone and therefore no wormwood.
– An Absinthe glass – This makes measuring the Absinthe very easy because you fill the bulge at the bottom or rise to the mark, depending on what style glass you might have.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (cuillere)
– Ice cold water
– A cube of white sugar
To create your Absinthe drink you should pour a shot of Absinthe into the glass and rest the spoon on the rim of the glass.Put the cube of sugar about the spoon and carefully drip water over the sugar making it dissolve to the Absinthe. Top up the Absinthe to taste, usually a ratio of between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe.
If you use a stable hand and drip the water gradually, you will be able to look at the Absinthe louche the way it turns from a clear bright green to an opalescent, pale, milky green. This is fascinating to view.
Some Absinthe drinkers buy a special Absinthe fountain that you just fill with water and ice cubes and after that turn a tap to control the dripping of the water to the Absinthe – great if you are heavy handed. A fountain also allows you to make two drinks at the same time because numerous fountains have two taps.
Replications . of antique Absinthe spoons and glasses may be ordered online from AbsintheKit.com. The company also sell Absinthe essences on their webshop. You mix an essence with vodka or everclear to make your personal real wormwood Absinthe.
The Czech or Bohemian approach differs a little bit from the Ritual and isn’t a standard method of preparing Absinthe. To create Absinthe by doing this you have to:-
– Pour a shot of Absinthe right into a glass after which dip the cube of sugar to the alcohol.
– Place the cube of sugar on top of the Absinthe spoon.
– Utilizing a match or lighter, set the sugar alight.
– Watch the sugar caramelize and melt through the slots of the spoon and into the Absinthe.
– Cautiously pour iced water in the Absinthe to dilute.
– Stir and savor.
Absinthe can certainly be mixed with other alcohol in cocktails. Go online for Absinthe cocktail recipes source. Ernest Hemingway drank “Death in the Afternoon” – Absinthe mixed with champagne!
There you are, how to pour Absinthe while using the Ritual and the more modern Bohemian method. Take them into consideration and enjoy with Absinthe.